The Low-Down on Hashtags and How to Use them.
Oct 27 2017
What is a Hashtag?
The hashtag or what is also known as the pound sign on your phone has found a place on popular social networks. It is the single most used character that allows users to categorize “groups” And its all thanks to Chris Messina, the former Google designer who proposed this symbol to Twitter users in 2007.
Since Twitter, it has now been adopted by Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and other popular social media platforms. Popular culture has used it so often that the word “hashtag” was added to the Oxford dictionary in 2010, and the Scrabble dictionary in 2014, some of the highest authorities on what defines a real word!
How to Use a Hashtag?
To use a hashtag in a social post is really as simple as adding the # sign before a single word or phrase, without spaces or punctuation. You can also include numbers in your hashtags. The hashtag used is categorized so that it makes your own content discoverable and allows you to find relevant content for other people and businesses. The hashtag also allows you to connect with and engage with other social media users based on a common theme or interest.
Hashtags Best Practices:
- Be Mindful of Proper Hashtag Etiquette on Each Specific Network.
- Use Hashtags That Fit Your Brand.
- Create Hashtags For Promotions.
- Keep Them Short And Memorable.
- Capitalize The First Letter Of Each Word.
- Use Hashtags In Twitter Chats
- Don’t Use Spaces Or Special Punctuation.
- Don’t clog your Instagram posts with #hastgas. instead, keep your post clean and just publish your post and immediately after adding a comment that contains only #hastags.
Best Number of Hashtags – On Every Social Network:
Facebook: Use 1-2 hashtags per post
Twitter: Use 1-2 hashtags per tweet
Instagram: Use 10+ hashtags
Pinterest: Use 2-3 hashtags per pin
Google+: Use 2-3 hashtags per pos
So that’s the low down on #hashtags. Hope you enjoyed this post if you have any questions on how to create a social media strategy for your business contact us today! And for any other inquires, please view our other services here.